|The welcoming archway near St. Lawrence's (Chiswick Local Studies Library)|
On the Road to Windsor, February 10, 1840
Photo Source: Brentford + Chickwick Local History Society
In the dimming of evening’s light, their reception at
The light played beautiful across the faces of the populace, which spilled out over the roads and cheered from balconies as the Royal suite wend its way through the crowded streets. Handkerchiefs, top hats, and flags waved from balconies decorated with laurels, mottoes, and artificial flowers. The sonorous peals of the parish church bells filled the air with merry song, as the procession approached
A flight of rockets shot across the sky, surely competing with the marvelous display those clever boys had erected for Her Majesty’s pleasure. Opposite the campus, several thousand gas lamps lit a perfect replica of the façade of the Parthenon of Athens. Six bold columns awash in the bright yellow light of the many gas lamps, which were surmounted by the Queen’s coat of arms. The device was crowned with seven flags, and beneath the Queen’s crest brilliantly colored lights spelled out the words ‘Gratulator Etona Victorie et Alberto’*.
*Rough Translation: “